Music has Concluded for the 2014-2015 School Year
See Mr. Overholt next year for another exciting year of music.
- There are currently no upcoming dates.
- Teacher: Mr. Overholt
- Location: 110
The S.J.-S.H. Music Department presents numerous concerts throughout the year in the community and in our own Bishop Carter Auditorium. All ensembles and performance classes are invited to participate in each concert. Any student who is willing to invest themself in learning and putting forth a genuine effort to grow musically and as an individual is welcome to participate in our extra-curricular programs. We know that anybody who does participate in the music program will benefit and depart a more enriched person than when they came. Nobody sits the bench!! Everybody plays in music and all parts are important. Music is an investment in personal growth and friendships.
The Concert Band rehearses every Tuesday after school to prepare music for a variety of concerts including:
- INTERNATIONAL MUSIC DAY
(The first Monday of October signifying the unifying qualities of music throughout the world. S.J.-S.H. celebrates each year with a noon hour concert. All classes and ensembles participate.)
- CONTEMPORARY SHOWCASE
(S.J.-S.H. is only the second venue in Canada to host this non-competitive Concert Band Festival. All music performed is written by Canadian Composers.)
- MASSED BANDS
- EVENING CONCERTS IN THE BISHOP CARTER AUDITORIUM
- FEEDER SCHOOL CONCERTS and/or COMMUNITY SERVICE CONCERTS
- PERFORMANCE WITH THE C.F.B. 22 WING CONCERT BAND
- KIWANIS MUSIC FESTIVAL
- MUSIC MONDAY
(A National Celebration of music in Canada)
- INSIGHTS AND SOUNDS
- STAGE BAND and/or COMBO
These ensembles rehearse on Wednesday and/or Thursdays after school to prepare music in a variety of styles, including blues, jazz, rock and Latin for public performance. These groups present on all public concerts and often extra events as well.
- S.J.-S.H. AND GUEST ARTISTS
The S.J.-S.H. Music Department has a long history of hosting a variety of quality concerts presented by internationally acclaimed artists. Some of the individuals and groups who have performed at our school include:
- Oliver Jones (Canadian jazz pianist)
- Barney Bentall (rock artist)
- Angela Cheng & Janina Fialkowska (Canadian solo piano artists from Piano Six)
- Paul Brodie (Canadian solo concert saxophonist)
- The Penderecki String Quartet
- Pat Labarbera, Don Thompson, Jim Vivians and S.J.-S.H. alumnus John Fraboni (Canadian jazz artists)
- Philip Dent Candelaria (classical guitar)
- Central Band of the Canadian Forces
- University of Ottawa Guitar Ensemble
- Sounds Good Jazz Quintet featuring three former students, no professional jazz artists: John Fraboni, Michael Conto, Brian O'Kane)