Special Education Staff
- Resource teachers and special education teachers
- Educational assistants
- Speech and language pathologists
- Behaviour management counsellor
- Occupational therapists
- Autism in school support staff
The Resource Centre is available for all exceptional students. Students are able to receive additional service by a resource teacher outside of the regular classroom. Students may:
- receive extra time and/or clarification of questions during tests or exam;
- use the Kurzweil (read aloud software) or computers to assist them;
- use other computer programs, including:
- Dragon's Naturally Speaking (speach to text)
- Text Help
- receive proofreading of written assignments;
- work in a quieter environment free of distraction;
- have notes photocopied when necessary;
- use of other assistive and mobile technology (ie: IPods)
Our Transition Centre facility is comprised of 3 special education classrooms that provide a wide range of program content to students with multiple exceptionalities. The focus is on life skill activities, basic social skills, functional language, and functional math.
Whenever possible, there is partial integration. There are also many opportunities for activities and outings that promote socialization and optimum environmental awareness and appreciation.
Work Experience Classrooms
These rooms offer students an opportunity to learn in a small class environment. Studies in core subjects are augmented with life skills training, such as cooking, as well as work experience programs. Activities and learning are geared towards giving the students an understanding of and preparation for life after high school.
For More Information
For more information, please see the Special Education page for the Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board.